Main Menu

Good to be back

Hammerheads eliminated

HHH SHarks forward Fredson Soaki on the charge as Realas players set up defense during their HRUA Low Price semi final match on Saturday. Realas won 24-23…Photo Taromane Martin

REALAS rugby team are through to the grand final of the 2017 Honiara Rugby Union Association (HRUA) after beating Henderson Hammerheads (HHH) 24-23 over the weekend.

Team captain Billy Toate’e said they are happy to be back in the grand final and look forward to playing whoever will win the other seim final tomorrow between Matangiki and defending champions Avaiki at the Town Ground rugby staduim.

“We are happy to see all our hard work paying off today. It was a tough game because they also wanted the win but I’m proud of the boys for showing character and determination for the win

“It’s been a while since Realas has appeared in a grand final. We are ready and very much looking forward to playing against whoever wins the second semis,” he said.

Hammerheads came fighting back in the second half but could only managed two unconverted tries to see them eliminated from title contention.

Realas defence was tested three minutes into the first half but was able to stand against the early shark attack.

Bobby Sade gave Hammerheads the lead from the a penalty conversion but saw full back Steven Momoa opening up HHH defence before unloading to captain Billy Toate’e for Realas first try of the game.

Simon Fa’alimae extended Realas lead to 12-3 running 40 meters for a converted try after a fumble by a shark’s player 10 meters inside Realas territory.

Realas were reduced to 14 men after Francis Ramo was sin binned for a high tackle 35 minutes into the match.

Sade added another three points for HHH to see them trail 12-6 twenty minutes from half time.

Fa’alimae grabbed his second try of the day, this time running the length of the field after intercepting a HHH attack a meter away from his try line.

The conversion attempt for the extra two points from Realas went wide but saw them leading 19-6 five minutes from half time.

Team Captain Billy Toate’e crossed for their fourth try just before the break to see them lead 24-6 at half time after an unsuccessful conversion kick.

Fredson Soaki grabbed a try back for HHH to see the scores locked on 24-13 two minutes after the break but saw Realas causing trouble for the miss tackling sharks defence.

Realas were again reduced to 14 men this time it was Fa’alimae found guilty for a high tackle.

Mathew Qwaina pulled a try back for sharks 15 minutes from time but saw Bobby Sade missing the conversion to see them trail 24-18.

Philemon Campbell crossed over for HHH third try five minutes from full time but saw the conversion kick from Sade for the win smothered by Simon Fa’alimae to see Realas win 24-23.

Meanwhile HRUA President Calvin Tengemona has thanked Minister for Home Affairs Honourable Manasseh Maelanga, Undersecretary for the Ministry of Culture and Tourism Moses Tepai Jnr, Acting Director Sports Casper Pule for their attendance, team managers, players and spectators for good sportsmanship behaviour on Saturday.


« (Previous News)
(Next News) »